Q. 1 A) Complete the sentences with an appropriate word given in the brackets. (05 Marks)
1) He was ……………………. to leave the house. (about/start/goings)
2) My friend had a difficulty in ……………………. (to read/reading)
3) I will be there in ……………………. hour (a/an/two)
4) He thinks the weather is ……………………. cold. (so much/too/little)
5) The movie was so ……………………. that I slept.(bored/bore/boring)
1. He was about to leave the house.
2. My friend had a difficulty in reading.
3. I will be there in an hour.
4. He thinks the weather is too cold.
5. The movie was so boring that I slept.
B) Do as directed. (05 Marks)
1) Arrange the given words in alphabetical order
cup, cap, corner, change
Ans: cap, change, corner, cup
2. Write the opposite words of:
i) new × old
ii) forget × remember
3. Make a word chain of a verb:
Ans: Eat → Take → Earn → Need → Dance
4. Punctuate the following sentence:
lets play together
Ans: “Let’s play together.”
5. Write the past tense of:
i) go: went
ii) walk: walked
Q. 2 A) Read the passage given below and answer questions. (05 Mark)
Tomato is grown from the seeds of other tomatoes. Tomatoes need plenty of warm sunshine, but not more than 35°C. The soil has to be rich in organic matter and should have sufficient calcium. Tomato plants need an adequate supply of water per day. Tomatoes take
about two to three months to grow. They have to be picked before they are fully ripe.
Potato is a tuber crop. Potatoes contain resistant starch and fibre. It is grown from the
‘eyes’ of other potatoes. Potatoes grow in cool climates. Potatoes grow in average soil. The soil should be fertile and well-drained. Potatoes take about four to five months to grow. They have to be picked before they are fully ripe. Potatoes are dug out of the soil.
1) Why is tomato considered as fruit?
Ans: Tomato is considered a fruit because it is an ovary with seeds. In botanical terms, any structure that develops from the ovary of a flower and contains seeds is classified as a fruit.
2) How much time do tomatoes need to grow?
Ans: Tomatoes take about two to three months to grow.
3) What kind of crop potato is?
Ans: Potato is a tuber crop.
4) What do potatoes contain?
Ans: Potatoes contain resistant starch and fibre.
5) What kind of soil do potato crops need?
Ans: Potato crops need average soil that is fertile and well-drained.
B) Classify the words.
Classify and write the given words into appropriate columns.
(manage, careful, survive, ferocious, begin, desperately, rifle, professional, importance, national, remember, very, happy, instantly, speak, now, dedicate, communication, guidance, always)
Q. 3 A) Read the given invitation card and answer the questions given below. (05 Marks)
1) What is the programme about?
Ans: The program is a wedding ceremony of their son, who is marrying the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Balaji Kumar.
2) Who is/are the host?
Ans: The hosts of the wedding ceremony are Mrs. Vaishali and Mr. Suhas.
3) When is the programme scheduled?
Ans: The program is scheduled for 14th May 2023, which falls on a Sunday.
4) What is the time of this programme?
Ans: The time of the program is at 5 p.m. in the evening.
5) Where is the programme held?
Ans: The program is held at Arya-Gayatri Lawns in Mangalwedha.
B) Make an acrostic of given words. (Any 1) (05 Marks)
i) FRIEND ii) MOTHER iii) ENGLISH
F – Faithful and true
R – Reliable and kind
I – Inseparable,
E – Encouraging
N – Never failing,
D – Devoted,
M – Maternal love,
O – On your side,
T – Teacher,
H – Heartwarming,
E – Endless care
R – Radiant love
E – Expressive,
N – Nurturing language,
G – Grammar and syntax,
L – Literature’s treasure
I – International,
S – Speak it loudly,
H – History and culture,