1. Discuss in your class.
Indian women who have made it to International Levels in sports and games.
Discuss the following points about each of them.
(a) Name of the sportsperson_ Sheetal Mahajan
(b) Sport or Game _Parachute jumping
(c) Level reached _Intonational
(d) Outstanding achievements _
She became the first Indian woman in the world to jump over both poles.
_The Shivchhatrapati State Sports Award – 2004-05
_Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award
(a) Name of the sportsperson Tejaswtni Sawant
(b) Sport or Game :- Shooting
(c) ‘Level reached :- Internaåonal Olympic
(d) Outstanding achievements :- She won bronze at the 2009 world cup in Munich.
(e) Awards/Prizes/Titles :
*Gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.
*Bronze medal at the Asian Games.
1. Fill in the table.
place where played
Individuals or Team
2. Table Tennis
2. Complete the Interview with an imaginary Captain of Ladies Cricket Team of your Town/City/State.
Interviewer: J Prasad (J. P.)
Captain: Vijetha Bhide (V. B.)
J. P.: Good Morning. We are simply privileged and delighted to have the presence of the Captain of our State Women’s Cricket Team, which won the final of the Inter State series in Mumbai, last week.
Hello Vijetha, welcome to our show. Thank you for inviting me.
J.P.: At first, I would like to know how you felt to win the final of Inter State series in Mumbai.
V.B.: I felt quite happy. I felt quite confident about my captaincy.
J.P.: When did you start playing Cricket?
V.B.: Cricket has been my passion. I started to play Cricket when I was ten years old.
J.P: Who supported and motivated you to play Cricket?
V.B.: My parents and relatives supported me. However, my sports teacher Mr. Kadam Sir motivated me to do well.
J.P: Who is your role model?
V.B.: Of course! Sachin Tendulkar, God of Cricket, is my role model.
J.P: Have you experienced some challenges in Cricket?
V.B.: Every sport has its challenges. I have to face different challenges at different situations.
J.P: What are your future plans?
V.B.: I want to encourage girls to come in the field of cricket.
J.P: What are your passions in cricket?
V.B.: I want to lead India on International level. I want to win world cup for India.
J.P: What message would you give to the youths of country?
V.B.: The youths should work hard. They should choose their career carefully. They should devote and dedicate for their career.
J.P: Thank you for your valuable time.
V.B.: It’s my pleasure.
Margin Questions for Discussion
1) What was Mary Kom’s exceptional achievement?
Ans: Mary Kom is famed as a five times world Boxing Champion and the only boxer to win a medal in every one of the six world championships. In the 2012, Olympics, she became the first Indian woman boxer to qualify and win a bronze medal in the 51 kg flyweight category of boxing.
2) How did the Kom’s parents make a living?
Ans: Kom’s parents made a living by working as tenant farmers in jhum fields.
3) What has added to Kom’s greatness as a boxing champion?
Ans: Mary Kom’s apology the whole nation for not being able to win the Gold has added to Kom’s greatness as a boxing champion.
4) What failed to pressurize Mary Kom during the Olympics?
Ans: Mary Kom was the only female representative from India in boxing failed to pressurize Mary Kom during the Olympics.
5) What can help Indian Sportsmen win more Olympic Medals?
Ans: More people should take up sports as a full time. More corporates should come in and sponsor players to avoid player’s financial pressure.
6) How did Mary Kom increase her weight?
Ans: Mary Kom increased her weight by eating the right kind of healthy food rather than bad saturated fats.
7) What did OGQ do for Mary Kom?
Ans: OGQ helped Mary out whenever she needed something. They took care of her everything which helped her focus on her boxing and kept her stress
8) What is Mary Kom proud of being a boxer or a mother?
Ans: Mary Kom is proud of being a mother.
1. Choose the correct alternative.
(a) What kind of text is it?
(b) Which State does Mary’ Kom belong to?
(c) Who inspired Mary Kom and other youngsters in Manipur to choose boxing as a career?
Ans: Dingko Singh
(d) What did Mary Kom prefer being called?
Ans: Super Mom
2. Go though the text again and find out the name of cities and their importance in Mary Kom’s Life. One is given for you.
(a) Kangthei – Mary Kom’s birth place.
(b) Pune – Mary Kom got hard training.
(c) Churachandpur – Mary Kom’s district.
(d) Bangkok – Mary Kom’s motivator won Gold medal.
3. You will find some short forms in the text. Go to library or search on internet to find their full forms. Discuss with your partner. One is given for you.
(a) OGQ – Olympic Gold Quest
(b) IBN • Indian Broadcasting Network
(c) MTV – Music Television
(d) YPA – Young Players Association
(e) AIBA – The Amateur International Boxing Association.
(f) CNN – Cable News Network.
4. Write the Factfile of Mary Kom, in your notebook.
(a) Full name:
Mary Mangte Kom the Komaueror and the Komrade
(b) Native of: Kangthei village, Moirang Lamkhai in Churachandpur district of Manipur.
(c) Early life and interests: Helping in farming chores, going to school and learning athletics initially and boxing simultaneously.
(d) Special sport taken up: Boxing
Inspired by: Dingko Singh – a fellow Manipuri.
(f) Coach: Garles Atkinson
(g) Early achievements :
* Victory in the Manipur state women’s boxing championship in 2000.
* Victory in the regional championship in West Bengal.
(h) International Achievement:
* 2012 Olympics – She became the first Indian woman to qualify and win a bronze medal in the 51kg flyweight category.
* She is famed as a five times world boxing champion and the only boxer to win a medal in every one of the six world championships.
(i) Her passion: Boxing
(j) Future plans: Coaching Indian women in boxing.
5. Glance through the text and find the special qualities of Mary Kom. Complete the web by putting different qualities of Mary Kom in the boxes.
Qualities of Mary Kom
6. ‘Super Mont’ refers to an excellent mother. Give reasons why ‘super’ has been added to the word ‘mom’ as in the title.
1. To take title catchy and attractive.
2. To cover the message given in the text.
3. To throw light on the family value of Mary Kom
7. Answer in your own words.
(a) What makes the writer call Mary Kom ‘a legend’?
Ans: writer calls Mary Kom ‘a legend’. It is really an apt title tor her; she has created history in Boxing. She is a five tithes World Boxing Champion. She is the only boxer to win a medal in every one of the world championships. In the 2012 Olympics, she became the first Indian woman boxer to qualify and win a bronze medal in the 51 kg flyweight category of boxing
(b) What prime quality did Mary Kom display during her first attempt in Olympic Games? What was her bad luck?
Ans: Marv Kom displayed her greatness during her first attempt in Olympic Games. It was her bad luck that she couldn’t win a gold medal.
(c) What does Mary Kom suggest for India to win more Olympic Gold Medals?
Ans: Mary Kom suggests that more and more people should take up sports as a full-time career. More corporates should come in and sponsor players. So that the players don’t have any financial pressure and can focus on their games
8. Fill in the flow chart after rearranging the facts below in their proper order, as per the text.
1. Mary Kom decided to take up boxing.
2. Mary Kom won the Manipur State’s Women’s Boxing Championship.
3. Mary Kom made her appearance at international level
4. She sparred with male boxers in Pune.
5. She won a bronze medal in the 2012 Olympics.
9. Make sentences of your own using the following words.
(a) debut –
1. Sachin Tendulkar made his international debut in Test Cricket in 1987.
2. Salman Khan made his debut in Bollywood through Maine Pyar Kiya.
(b) elation –
1. Srushti felt an elation to get good marks in S.S.C. examination.
2. Getting good marks in the examination is a matter of elation for the students.
(c) sponsor –
1. The rich people should sponsor poor and needy students for education.
2. The Government should sponsor many players for Olympic Games.
(d) reinforced –
1. The word of praise reinforced many students to do well in life.
2. The policies of government reinforced the common people in the society.
(e) humble surroundings –
1. Many children in humble surroundings can’t get their education.
2. There is an urgent need to improve humble surroundings in our country.
10. Find antonyms of the following words from the text.
(a) Arrogant X humble
(b) Finally X initially
(c) Disqualify X qualify
(d) Diffident X confident
11. Imagine that you are Captain of your team. A famous cricketer is going to visit your school. You are the task to conduct an interview of that famous cricketer. Frame a set of 10 questions that you will ask the cricketer. Take help of the points given below.
• Name of the Interviewee — M.S. Dhoni
• Name of the Interviewer — Anuja Deshmukh
• Topic — Interview with M.S. Dhoni
•Venue — Auditorium Hall of Saraswati High
• Date — 16 September 2018 • Time — 10 a.m.
• Duration — An hour
Good morning M.S. Dhoni. Welcome to our school. It is a luck of us to get an opportunity to meet you. I would like to know about your life and career.
• Where did you spend your childhood?
did you get your primary education? Which was your favourite games in childhood?
• When did you start to play cricket?
I would like to know about the inspiring people in your life.
Who is your coach?
Who is your role model?
Whose guidance did you get?
I would like to know about your personal records.
How many centuries did you complete in Test Cricket?
What is your record in one day Cricket?
How many matches did you play?
Now I would like to know about your future plans.
What are your future plans? What advice would you like to give to the youngsters of our country?
Thank you for your valuable time. Wish you best luck for your future.
12 Write a short paragraph describing the life and work of Mary Kom. Take help of the points given below.
Ans: Mary Kom
Mary Kom is the best boxer player. She has won the medal in boxing.
Mary Kom spent her early life in humble surroundings with her parents. As a child she liked helping her parents with farm related chores, going to school and learning athletics, she got training from her coach Charles Atkinson. She has created many records in the field of boxing. She got victory in the Manipur State women’s boxing championship and the regional championship in West Bengal. She won silver medal in the 48kg weight category in women’s world boxing championship in United States. In the 2012 Olympics, she became the first Indian woman to qualify and win a bronze medal in the 51 kg flyweight category of boxing. She wants to give coaching to Indian women in boxing.
In this way, Mary Kom is the best player.
13. ‘What Men Can Do, Women can do better’
Divide your class in 2 groups. Let one group offer points ‘For the topic and the other, ‘Against the topic.’ Note down the points in your notebooks, expand the points in two separate paragraphs of about 15 to 20 lines each. Suggest suitable titles for each.
Ans: Men do better
There are different works that men perform daily. Men have the habit of doing those works so naturally they develop their skills and tacts to complete those works. So, they are better performer. There are some works which require strength and energy. Such works are easily done by men since they are gifted with strength and energy. Men can perform outside works in a better way. They have enough competency to cope with such work. They are skillful in completing work. They have a broader outlook to look at the work. So, men do well in their works.
Women can do better
Nowadays women’s areas of works are not confined only to kitchen and household chores. Today’s women are out of kitchens. They are at all working places. There is no single place where we do not find women. The women are selected in different fields because they are capable to perform those duties. Women are devoted and dedicated. so whatever the job they do, they do in a better way, There are many women players who have created their own records in their games and sports. There are many notable women like Sindhutai Sapkal, Megha Patkar, Kiran Bedi whose work is recognized by the whole society. However, women do not do only their office work but also their kitchen duties• No doubt they are expert cooks as well as devoted officers. Let us salute such women.
1. Underline the Subordinate Clauses and state their kind.
(a) Enough has been said about this peat warrior, who conquered the world. (Subordinate Clause)
Ans: Enough has been said about thig great warrior, who conquered the world.
(b)The male boxers kindly practiced with me, whenever I required them.
Ans: The male boxers kindly practiced with me, whenever I required them.
(Adverb Clause of time)
(c) I think that more people should take up sports as a full – time career.
Ans: I think that more people should take up sports as a full – time career
(d) Do you think nutrition is a neglected area in Indian Sports?
Ans: Do you think nutrition is a neglected area in Indian Sports?
(e) That’s the best thing, that has happened to me.
Ans: That’s the best thing, that-has-happened to me. (Adjective Clause)
(f) India managed just 6 medals in 2012 Olympics even though we are a nation of 1.3 billion people.
Ans: India managed just 6 medals in 2012 Olympics even though we are a nation of 1.3 billion people.
(Adverb clause of contrast)
2. (A) Pick out from the text the VERB forms of
(a) qualification – qualify
(b) negligence – neglect
(c) company – accompany
(d) decisions – decide
(e) practice – practice
(f) birth – born
Pick out the NOUN forms of
(a) represent – representation
(b) change – change
(c) prepare – preparation
(d) achieve – achievement
(e) aware – awareness
(f) succeed – success
Pick out the ADJECTIVE forms of
(a) favour – favourable
(b) proportion – proportionate
(c) finance – financial
(d) nutrition – nutritional
(e) female – feminine
(f) addition – additional