Change the following sentences into Indirect Speech:
(1) “Hey! I am really excited. It’s nice to meet you.” Meena said to the writer.
Ans: Meena exclaimed with excitement that it was nice to meet her. (2) Meena said, “What are you doing here?”
Ans: Meena asked the writer what she was doing there
(3) “We won’t get taxi in this rain,” said Meena.
Ans: Meena said that they would not get taxi in that rain.
(4) “Meena, it’s a beautiful day.” I said.
Ans: I told Meena that it was a beautiful day.
(5) “Did you give any gurudakshina to your Guru?” I asked.
Ans: I asked if she had given any gurudakshina to her Guru.(6) “Put the fear out of your heart and you will be able to speak like everyone else the teacher said to Bholi.
Ans: The teacher advised (asked. told) Bholi to put the fear out of her heart and she would be able to speak like everyone else.
(7) Yes, certainly,” his wife said. “Bholi will be lucky to get such a well-to-do Bridegroom’’.
Ans: His wife said with certainty that Bholi would be lucky to get such a well-to-do bridegroom.
(8) “What will that witless one say? She is a dumb cow.” Ramlal’s wife said.
Ans: Ramlal’s wife asked Ramlal what that witless one would say. She added that she (Bholi) was a dumb cow.
(9) “Be a little considerate, please. If you go back, I can never show my face in the village.” Ramlal said to the bridegroom.
Ans: Ramlal requested the bridegroom to be a little considerate. He further told him that if he went back. he could never show his face in the village.
(10) “Pitaji”. Take back your money. I am not going to marry this man.” Bholi said.
Ans: Bholi told (asked) her father to take back his money. She added that she was not going to marry that man.
(11) Mrs. Srivastava said, “Tell him to come and see me tomorrow.”
Ans: Mrs. Srivastava told (asked) to tell him to come and see her the next day.
(12) Mr Kishore said. “Deep Chand, have you heard the latest?”
Ans: Mr. Kishore asked Deepchand if he had heard the latest.
(13) The lion asked the bird, “What are you doing?”
Ans: The lion asked the bird what it was doing.
(14) The bird said. “I am doing my bit.”
Ans: The bird said that it (she) was doing its (her) bit.
(15) The lion said, “How can you do that?”
Ans: The lion asked how it (she) could do that.
(16) Ramlal’s wife said to him, “I will tell you what to do.”
Ans: Ramlal’s wife told him that she would tell him what to do.
(17) 1 said to Meena. “I can’t stay with you tonight.”
Ans: I told Meena that I couldn’t stay with her that night.
(18) I asked Meena, “Is there a Prince Charming who has managed to change you so’?”
Ans: I asked Meena if there was a Prince Charming who had managed to change her so.
(19) I asked Meena, “What’s the secret of your energy?”
Ans: I asked Meena what the secret of her energy was.
(20) Meena said, “I don’t know why I did that.”
Ans: Meena said that she didn’t know why she had done that.
(21) “What I saw from my window surprised me,” said Meena.
Ans: Meena said that what she had seen from her window had surprised her.
(22) She said, “That scene forced me to look at my own life.
Ans: She said that that scene had forced her to look at her own life.
(23) She asked me. “Why did you not come earlier?”
Ans: She asked me why I had not come earlier.
(24) I asked my teacher. “Why is he not with us in the school?”
Ans: I asked my teacher why he was not with them in the school.
(25) Ramlal told his wife. “Let her wear some decent clothes today.”
Ans: Ramlal told his wife to let her wear some decent clothes that day.
(26) The Tehsildar said to Ramlal, “You must send your daughter to schoo1.”
Ans: The Tehsildar told Ramlal that he must send his daughter to school.
(27) The priest said, “Bring the bride.”
Ans: The priest asked (ordered) to bring the bride
(28) Mary Kom: “I was pretty confident about myself.”
Ans: Mary Kom said that she had been pretty confident about herself.
2. Choose the correct option to transform each sentence into Reported speech (Indirect speech):
(1) On being asked Dr Hawking says, “I try and lead as normal a life as possible.”
(a) On being asked Dr Hawking says that he tried and led as normal a life as possible.
(b) On being asked Dr Hawking says that he tries and leads as normal a life as possible.
(2) Mary Kom said, “I am sure many more boxers will get medals for us.”
(a) Mary Kom said that I am sure many more boxers will get medals for them.
(b) Mary Kom said that she was sure many more boxers will get medals for them.
(c) Mary Kom said that she was sure many boxers would get medals for them.
(d) Mary Kom said that she is sure many more boxers would got medals for them.
(3)Steward said to Robert. “Do not anger her.”
(a) Steward said to Robert that not to anger her
(b) Steward requested Robert not to anger her
(c) Steward warned Robert did not anger her
(d) Steward requested Robert “Do not he anger her.”
4) Robert said to Joan. “Listen to me and don’t cut in before I have time to think.
a) Robert told Joan that to listen to me and not to cut in before he had time to think
(b) Robert said to Joan to listen to him and didn’t cut in before he has time to think
(c) Robert ordered Joan to listen to him and not to cut in before he had time to think.
(d) Robert ordered Joan to listen to me and not to cut in before he had time to thought.
(5) What a shameless girl” they said.
(a) They told that the girl was shameless.
(b) They said that she was a very shameless girl.
(c) They exclaimed that she was a very shameless girl.
(d) They exclaimed that the girl is shameless girl.