1.4 MISS SLIPPERY
Q. 1 Why could the notebook have fallen from Sayali’s hand?
Ans: Because her teacher shouted on her and said that to come
there with her book. Sayali obeyed her angry looks made her
Q.2 What happened when it was Sayali’s turn to answer?
Ans: When it was Sayali’s turn to answer, she became blank. The
teacher gave her a stern stare, while she stood there stiff, still,
with her head hanging down in shame.
Q.3 What did Sayali long for, from her mother?
Ans: Sayali longed for, from her mother that her mother should
hold and console her. She should give her sympathetic pat.
Q.4 Why did Sayali begin crying again?
Ans: because her younger brother came and sat beside her and he
placed his little hand on her arm and whispered, ”Are you in
great pain?” Sayali became overwhelmed and started crying
Q.5 By what name did the girls tease Sayali?
Ans: They teased her by new title every day. They call her
Q.6 What was Sayali told to do by teacher?
Ans: Teacher told her to see her in the teachers’ room, after the
Q.7 What two relationships did the teacher offer Sayali?
Ans: Elder sister and a friend these two relationships teacher offered
Q.8 Why did Sayali feel like rejoicing a lot?
Ans: Sayali felt like rejoicing a lot because her teacher
spontaneously accepted her as a sister, a friend.
Q.9 How did Sayali react this time to the teasing?
Ans: Sayali remembered her teacher’s word and she turn her back
to girls and ignored them completely.
Q.10 What responsibilities did the teacher give Sayali?
Ans: Teacher gave the responsibility of bringing the register, chalk
and duster every morning.
Q.11 What great change had come over, in Sayali’s heart?
Ans: She was thrilled from top to toe. She felt her little heart inflate
with pride. She found no awkwardness in moving about in her
still-wet frock. Nor was there any trace of fear, while returning
home that great change had come over, in Sayali’s heart.
1. Two different words are joined to form a new word with a
new meaning. Such words are called Compound words.
(Sometimes there is hyphen (-) between compound words.)
For example : homework or kind-hearted
Pick out some Compound words from the lesson.
(1) notebook (2) never-ending
(3) red-hot (4) classroom
(5) high-pitched (6) well-prepared
2. (A) Add the proper prefix to make the following words
opposite in meaning.
(1) obey x disobey
(2) sympathetic x unsympathetic
(3) honour x dishonour
(4) afraid x unafraid
(5) content x discontent
(B) Add suffix to convert the following words to Adjective forms.
laugh – laughable thought – thoughtful
forget – forgetful care – careful
count – countable fear – fearful
move – moveable tear – tearful
punish – punishable joy – joyful
3. Find words / expressions from the story which are similar in
(1) very expensive extravagant
(2) longing for yearning
(3) could not remember at all went blank
(4) constant never ending
(5) gather all ones courage muster courage
(6) filled and increased in size inflate
(7) paining badly smarting
(8) forced to pay a big amount of money pay through one’s nose
4. Answer in short, in your own words.
1) The history teacher had asked the to memorize It ( What?)
Ans: The causes and effect of the Battle of Panipat.
(2) Sayali’s new frock tore (HOW?)
Ans: One day Sayali was coming down the school stairs.
Somebody from the top gave frantic scream. She fell and
came tumbling down about seven steps. And her new frock
was torn at the seams.
(3) Sayali hugged him tight (WHO?)
Ans: Sayali tightly to her younger brother.
(4) Sayali was called ‘slippery’ (WHY?)
Ans: Sayali was called ‘slippery’ because she used to walk
cautiously, yet she would often stumble.
(5) Teacher told Sayali to meet her in the teachers’ room
Ans: Teacher told Sayali to meet her in the teachers’ room after class.
(6) Teacher asked Sayali to carry the notebooks (WHERE?)
Ans: Teacher asked Sayali to carry the notebooks to the