SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE
Definition with Examples
Simple Present Tense is used for the incidents those have been occurring at the moment or are happening routinely over a period of time.
subject + main verb + object
Please note that there are no changes made to the actual verb form while using the Simple Present Tense except when a third person is being talked about, in which case suffix – s or -es are added to the verb. For example, go through the following sentences-
I listen to music daily.
I eat burger every day.
They get bonus every year.
Every day they go for a walk after dinner.
He goes to the gym every morning.
Reena listens to music every day.
Ravi visits her parents on weekends.
The first four sentences state an incident which is occurring regularly and there is no change in the actual form of the verb. i.e. listen, eat, get and go remained in their original forms. In the next three sentences since a third person is being talked about; therefore, the verb is suffixed with -s or -es i.e. goes, listens and visits.
For your better understanding, here we have explained Simple Present Tense under following categories:
a) Positive Sentences
The structure/formula of a Simple Present Positive Sentence is –
subject + main verb + object.
Rules for making Positive Sentences in Simple Present Tense:
If the subject is a singular noun i.e., it, he or she, then the verb is suffixed by –s or –es. In case of plural nouns there is no change in the actual form of the verb. For example, consider the below given sentences-
She listens to the lectures carefully.
I listen to the lectures carefully.
He goes to the market every day.
They go to the cinema every weekend.
The child loves noodles.
The children love noodles.
b) Negative Sentences
The structure of a Simple Present Negative Sentence is –
subject + do not/does not + main verb.
Rules for making Negative Sentences in Simple Present Tense:
If the subject is a singular noun or pronoun like – it, he, she then ‘does not’ is used and if the subjects are – they, we, I, you or a plural noun then ‘do not’ is used for the negative sentences.
Read the below given sentences for example-
It does not change colour.
He does not drink milk.
She does not like to swim.
Cat does not like water.
They do not believe in religion.
We do not go to the canteen.
I do not like milk.
You do not go to the market.
Elephants do not like loud noise.
c) Negative-Interrogative Sentences
Negative sentences can also be converted into Negative Interrogative sentences by adding ‘question words’ before the subject.
(question words + subject + do not/does not + main verb).
For Example, consider the following sentences-
Why it does not change color?
Why he does not drink milk?
Why she does not like to swim?
Why the cat does not like water?
Why they do not believe in religion?
Why we do not go to the canteen?
Why I do not like milk?
Why you do not go to the market?
Why Elephants do not like loud noise?
d) Interrogative Sentences
The basic structure of Simple Present Interrogative Sentences is-
Do/Does + subject + verb + object OR question words + Do/Does + subject + verb + object.
Rules for making Interrogative Sentences in Simple Present Tense:
If the subject is –it, he , she, or a singular noun then ‘does’ is used and if the subject is we, they, I, you or a plural noun then ‘do’ is used.
Interrogative sentences start with Do/Does or question words. For example, consider the below given sentences-
Does it belong to him?
Does she like the speech?
Why does cat like rain?
Do we have some chocolates?
Why do they like music?
Do I owe you any money?
Do you like to have dinner?
Do cats love water?
e) Interrogative-Negative Sentences
Interrogative sentences can be converted into a combination of Interrogative and Negative sentences by adding ‘not’ between the subject and the verb.
Does it not belong to him?
Does she not like the speech?
Does the cat not like rain?
Do we not have some chocolates?
Do they not like music?
Do I not owe you any money?
Do you not like to have dinner?
Do cats not love water?
Now that we are thorough with the Simple Present Tense and the types of sentences- positive, negative and interrogative sentences, it’s time to move on to exercises and tune our knowledge on the subject.
Fill in the blanks exercises/Worksheets/Activities on Simple Present Tense:
Complete the below given sentences with using proper simple present tense form of the verb.
1) I _________ a book daily. (read)
2) They ________ the national anthem every morning. (sing)
3) We ________ to God every day. (pray)
4) My mother _________ to God every day. (pray)
5) He __________ his grandparents on weekends. (visit)
6) Sheela ________ to the supermarket in evening. (go)
7) Children _________ new series of Jungle Book. (love)
8) Cats _________ milk. (love)
9) Cat _________ milk. (love)
10) Rohit __________ newspaper every day. (read)
11) His friends _________ a book together. (read)
12) His father ________ to the office every day. (go)
13) He _______ with his parents. (go)
14) All the children _______ with their parents. (go)
15) Elephants __________ sugarcane. (love)
1) read, 2) sing, 3) pray, 4) prays, 5) visits, 6) goes, 7) love, 8) love, 9) loves, 10) reads, 11) read, 12) goes, 13) goes, 14) go, 15) love
MCQ/Exercises/Worksheets/Activities on Simple Present Tense with Answers:
For the sentences given below choose the proper verb tense from the choices provided also cross check your answers with those provided at the end.
1) Plants ________ water to grow.
2) Sally ________ in the house down the street.
3) Children _________ toys.
4) Martin _________ for a walk every day with friends.
5) Martin and his friends ________ for a walk every day.
6) He ________ to read whenever he is free.
7) Children _______ to visit parks and zoo.
8) Ronny ________ to the gym every morning.
9) All of them _________ milk after dinner.
10) The Sun __________ heat to the earth.
11) Rony and Sally ________ playing together.
12) My dog _________ to relax on my sofa.
13) They _________ the nearby temple every Tuesday.
14) My aunt ________ her cat.
15) My brother _______ in the Pioneer.
1)b, 2)c, 3)b, 4)a, 5)c, 6)b, 7)c, 8)b, 9)a, 10)b, 11)a, 12)c, 13)b, 14)a, 15)b
True or False Exercises/Worksheets/Exercises on simple Present Tense with Answers:
Determine whether the following sentences are True or False and also check your progress from the answers provided at the end.
1) He go to the school every day.
2) They like to hear him singing.
3) Children loves visiting circus.
4) His parents like his friends.
5) His friends visits him every Sunday.
6) Sally likes pizza with double cheese.
7) Rony wash his clothes every day.
8) The train blows a horn before departure.
9) The guard whistle before leaving.
10) Dogs like scrambled eggs.
11) Cat like to be scratched.
12) He wants his friend to return.
13) Rony and Sally plays together.
14) Deepak visits the doctor with his grandfather.
15) Plants dies without sunlight.
1)False, 2)True, 3)False, 4)True, 5)False, 6)True, 7)False, 8)True, 9)False, 10)True, 11)False, 12)True, 13)False, 14)True, 15)False
Crosscheck your answers with the correct sentences given below:
1) He goes to the school every day.
3) Children love to visit the circus.
5) His friends visit him every Sunday.
7) Rony washes his clothes every day.
9) The guard whistles before leaving.
11) Cat likes to be scratched.
13) Rony and Sally play together.
15) Plants die without sunlight.
Fill in The blanks Exercises on Positive/Negative/Interrogative Sentences:
Complete the below given sentences with the given hints by using proper verb forms with ‘do not/does not’ or ‘do/does’ according to the sentence and also verify your progress with the answers provided.
1) He ________ to music every day. (listen)
2) It _________ interest him anymore. (do not)
3) They _________ like to be interrupted. (do not)
4) Children _________ like the exams. (do not)
5) Rohit ________ want his relatives to visit during exams. (do not)
6) _______ they like to have dinner early? (do)
7) ________ he has key of the car? (do)
8) He ________ love his pet very much. (do)
9) The children ________ like studying. (do not)
10) I ________ have any extra pen with me. (do not)
1) listens, 2) does not, 3) do not, 4) do not, 5) does not, 6) do, 7) does, 8) does not, 9) do not, 10) do not
MCQ Exercises on Positive/Negative/Interrogative Sentences:
Complete the following sentences by choosing proper verbs and do not/does not, do does and verify your progress with the answers provided.
1) Rony _______ to visit the park every evening.
2) He ________ has any concern for the safety of children.
a) does not
b) do not
3) They ________ like the way he speak.
a) do not
4) Moly ______ to walk in the rain.
5) ______ I have to go to the market?
b) Does not
6) ________ she know about the developments?
7) ________ his parents know that he is going on tour?
c) Do not
8) Ronny and Rohit ______ play together.
a) do not
b) does not
9) My teacher ________ likes to be interrupted.
a) do not
b) does not
10) ______ they have any sense of responsibility?
c) do not
1)a, 2)a, 3)a, 4)b, 5)c, 6)b, 7)b, 8)a, 9)b, 10)a
True or False Exercises on Positive/Negative/Interrogative Sentences:
Determine whether the following sentences are True or False also verify your progress with the answers provided.
1) My boss likes his coffee with extra cream.
2) The teachers prefers pin drop silence in the class.
3) He do not like to be caught.
4) My horse do not like swamps.
5) It does not go to New York.
6) She do not love singing.
7) His father does not love his job.
8) Do he lose his purse?
9) Does they love swimming?
10) Do they like to go for a boat ride?
1)True, 2)False, 3)False, 4)False, 5)True, 6)False, 7)True, 8)False, 9)False, 10)True
Crosscheck your answers with the correct sentences given below:
2) The teachers prefer pin drop silence in the class.
3) He does not like to be caught.
4) My horse does not like swamps.
6) She does not love singing.
8) Does he lose his purse?
9) Do they love swimming?