Q.1 New Words
Q.2 Word Galaxy
Concerts: musical performances
Mesmerised: Captured the complete attention of
Interview: conversation where questions are asked and answers given
Thrilled: extremely happy
Q.3 Dictionary Activity
10. Exclaimed : to say something suddenly and loudly because you are surprised
11. Admirer : a person who admires somebody
12. Proudly : in proud way
13. Arrived :to reach the place to which you were travelling
14. Notes : a short piece of writing that gives you information
15. Strokes : one of the movements that you make when you are writing or painting
Q.4 Make Sentences
Q.5 Fill in the blanks:
Q.6 Answer the following questions (Textual).
1. Why was Sam’s family called ‘the musical family’?
Ans. Sam’s parents taught music. Father played the flute and mother played the violin. Sam’s brother Jay played the guitar and his sister Romy played the drums. All of them could sing very well. They often performed together at concerts. Everyone in Sam’s family was into music. So, they were called ‘the musical family’.
2. What did Shruti ask Mr. Raman over the phone?
Ans. Shruti told Mr. Raman that she had seen the most wonderful musical performance by him and his family at the town-hall the previous week and she wished to feature them all in the cover story of the next issue of the magazine ‘Talent India’. She also asked him if she could interview the family.
3. Why did Sam stay in his room instead of joining the family in the living room?
Ans. Sam was sad because he was not musical like the others in his family. He thought that there was no use sitting in the living room as the reporter had come to have a conversation with his family members who were into music. So, he stayed in his room which was next to their living room.
4. What did Sam’s family tell Shruti at the interview?
Ans. Sam’s father told them about how he began learning music when he was four. His mother told them about her love for the violin. Jay and Romy also spoke about their musical interests
5. What did Shruti say when she saw the painting on the wall?
Ans. When Shruti saw the painting on the wall, she exclaimed that it was a very beautiful picture. She also asked if some fan of theirs had gifted them the painting. When she learned that Sam had painted it, she also wanted to meet the artist.
Q.7 Answer the following questions (Extra Questions and Answers)
1. What did Sam’s parents teach?
Ans. Sam’s parents taught music.
2. Which musical instruments did Sam’s father, mother, brother, and sister play?
Ans. Sam’s father played the flute; mother played the violin, his brother Jay played the guitar and his sister Romy played the drums.
3. What was Sam’s family called?
Ans. Sam’s family was called ‘the musical family.
4. Why Sam’s family was called ‘the musical family’?
Ans. The family was called ‘the musical family’ because they all could play different musical instruments and they could also sing very well. They often performed together at concerts.
5. What did Sam paint?
Ans. Sam painted more than fifty different kinds of birds. He was giving final touches to a painting featuring his family with the musical instruments they played.
6. Who was Shruti?
Ans. Shruti was a reporter of the magazine ‘Talent India’.
7. Why did Shruti call Mr Raman?
Ans. Shruti Called Mr Raman because she wanted to feature all of them in the cover story of the magazine’s next issue.
8. Identify whether the following sentences are true or false.
A. Sam’s parents were teaching dance. Ans. False
B. Sam liked to paint instead of playing musical instruments. Ans. True
C. Sam’s father played the violin. Ans. False
D. Sam had painted more than 50 different kinds of birds. Ans. True
E. He was giving final touches to the painting featuring only musical instruments.
9. Complete the following sentences:
a. Sam’s family often performed together at concert.
b. Sam’s family was called the musical family.
c. Sam was not into music because he loved his paints, brushes and sketchbook.
d. Sam’s father gets a call from a reporter from a magazine ‘Talent India’.
e. Shruti was mesmerized by Sam’s family’s musical performance at town hall last week.