Second Unit Test std 8th
Second Unit Test Practice Paper With Answers std 8th
SECOND UNIT TEST PRACTICE PAPER
Std. – 8th Sub – English (LL) Marks: 20
Read the passage and carry out the activities: (10 Marks) A1. Complete the following sentences: (2)
- Tansen made a deliberate mistake.
- Sant Haridas took the tanpura from Tansen’s hands
- His music springs from the depths of his soul, free and unasked for …
- The music spread across the forest like the first glimmer of dawn or the fragrance of jasmine.
But Tansen knew how to get round him. He offered to sing before his guru. And he
made a deliberate mistake. ‘‘That’s not the right note, Tansen,’’ cried his teacher, amazed. ‘‘What has happened to you?’’
Tansen did not seem to understand his teacher and he made the same mistake again. Exasperated, Sant Haridas took the tanpura from Tansen’s hands and sang the right note. Then he went on to the next and the next!
The music spread across the forest, like the first glimmer of dawn or the fragrance of jasmine. Both Akbar and Tansen listened to him as if they were hypnotised and the emperor realized that Tansen had spoken the truth. He had not known that music could be like this! He had certainly never heard anything like it before.
As they walked back, the emperor suddenly broke the silence to ask Tansen, ‘‘why can’t you sing like him, Ustadji?
‘‘Tansen smiled. ‘‘Shahenshah, I sing at your command, the command of the Emperor of Hindustan. But Guruji sings for one who is Master of even kings! GOD! His music springs from the depths of his soul, free and unasked for. How can I expect my music to be so beautiful and divine?’’
A2. Who said to whom? (2)
(i) What has happened to you?
(ii) How can I expect my music to be so beautiful and divine?’’
A3. Find out antonyms (opposites) of the following from the passage: (2)
1. last x first
2. unknown x known
3. always x never
4. ugly x beautiful
A4. Do as directed.
- Tansen did not seem to understand his teacher. (Choose the correct question tag) (1)
- didn’t he?
- did she?
- doesn’t he?
- did he?
- Tansen had spoken the truth. (Begin your sentence with ‘The truth…) (1)
Ans: The truth had been spoken by Tansen.
A5. Who is your favourite singer? Why? (2)
Ans: My favourite singer is Arjeet Singh. His voice is melodious, I like it so much. Whenever i feel upset, I would like to listen his songs.
1. Read the extract and complete the following activities. (5 Marks) A1. State whether the following statements are true or false. (2)
1. The little boy is very curious. True
2. The sun sinks behind the hills. True
3. The flowers always remain alive.False
4. Lead and marbles don’t sink in water. False
I know a curious little boy
Who is always asking, “why?’’
Why this, why that, why then,
why now, Why not, why by-and-by?
He wants to know why wood should swim,
Why lead and marbles sink;
Why stars should shine and winds should blow,
And why we eat and drink.
He wants to know what makes the clouds,
And why they cross the sky;
Why sinks the sun behind the hills,
And why the flowers die.
A2. Complete the following web diagram. (2)
The little boy wants to know…
why wood should swim
why lead & marble sink
why stars should shine
why winds should blow
A3. Write two pairs of rhyming words from the extract. (1)
i) sink – drink,
ii) sky – die
Language study. (5 Marks)
- Complete the following word chain. (2)
school ……………, ……….………, ……….….…., ……………
Ans: School …. Lion ….. Nose …….. Elephant …….. Tiger
- Make four words (minimum of 3 letters each) using the letters in the word ‘Exasperated’. (2)
i) spread, ii) rat, iii) eat, iv) rest, v) test
Arrange the following words in alphabetical order. (1)
mistake, market, memorize, mathematics
Ans: market, mathematics, memorize, mistake