2.2 THE HOUSE-BUILDER
(1) Discuss and match the professionals involved in
construction with the work they do.
(1) Architect शिलल्पकार
a) plans and design structure
(2) Engineer अभियंता
b) ensures structure will be strong and stable
(3) Building contractor
c) supervises constructions, employee workers, professionals, etc.
(4) Carpenter सुतार
d) makes wooden framework of doors, windows
(5) Mason गवांडी
e) builds walls, roof, etc. and plasters
(6) Tiler फरशीचे काम
f) does the flooring
(7) Interior decorator
इमारतीचा अंतर्गत भाग सजवणारा
g) beautifies the inside of a home.
(2) A word can be broken up into units of pronunciation each having one vowel sound (with or without consonant sounds around it).
Each such unit is called a syllable.
For example: *to, got, will, see etc. have just one syllable.
*fa-ther, ma-son, buil-der have two syllables.
*en-gin-eer, car-pen-ter, cons-truc-tion etc. have
1) Why was the mason a very good workman?
Ans: The Mason was very good workman because he gave an
excellent and appealing finish to whatever he built.
2) What sudden decision did the mason take?
Ans: The Mason took the sudden decision of retirement.
3) What was the contrast in the workmanship of the last house?
Ans: The mason didn’t put his careful attention in his work. His work was rough and was done without interest or dedication. His building material was of low quality. He had completed his work hastily and roughly. Because of rough structure, weak walls, poor finish the workmanship was not good at all, as designed. It was far away from his original worship.
4) What shock awaited the mason?
Ans: The mason was waiting for the contractor to hand over the key to the house to him. He gave the keys to him but the
contractor instead, handed over the legal documents and the
keys of the new house to the mason. The contractor had given
the new house to the meson as a gift for his good work done
1. Find from the story the Noun forms of the following.
(1) dedicate : dedication (5) own : ownership
(2) measure : measurement (6) give : gift
(3) decide : decision (7) responsible : responsibility
(4) perfect : perfection (8) persist : persistence
2. Choose the proper phrase / expression to complete the
(to send for, with full dedication, in great demand, to meet
the needs of, make up one’s mind, to no avail, to hand over)
(1) She does her job with full dedication.
(2) One should make up one’s mind to help others, when
(3) As Mr. Jadhav was transferred to Chennai he had to hand
over his responsibilities to his assistant.
(4) he labourer’s income was not sufficient meet the needs
of his family.
(5) Because of a fault in the wiring, they will have to send for
(6) Mother tried hard to change her son’s habits, but to no
(7) Mangoes from Ratnagiri are always in great demand.
3. Read the story and answer in your words.
(a) The owners of the new houses built by the mason would be extremely pleased. WHY?
Ans: Because he used to give an excellent and appealing
finish to every house.
(b) The contractor compensated for the mason’s good work. HOW?
Ans: The contractor compensated for the mason’s good
work by gifting a meson the new house keys.
(c) The mason made a firm decision to retire. WHEN?
Ans: The mason made a firm decision to retire after working
with great dedication for many years, till he became a
4. Read the following words from the story aloud and fill them in the proper columns.
(story, work, perfection, architect, leave, building, full, door, way, quality, responsibility, measurement, great, many, avail, excellent, material, complete, sufficiently, ready, documents, broad, happy, ownership, subsequently.)
More than three
excellent quality documents ownership
responsibility measurement material sufficiently subsequently
(A) Words that have the same sound / pronunciation, but
differ in spellings and meanings are called Homophones.
For example: hair – hare pick out from the lesson Homophones of the following words:
(B) Select any three pairs of homophones from above and
make simple sentences of your own to show the difference
in their meaning.
(1) (i) It is dark outside at night.
(ii) The knight wore a suit of armour.
(2) (i) I hit the ball into the hole.
(ii) I ate a whole red apple.
(3) (i) The sun rises in the east.
(ii) I have a son named Rahul.