The Fun They Had
|1. Crinkly- having a lot of thin folds or lines.|
2. attic- a reason just below the roof of a house (for storing thing)
3. Slot– a long narrow opening into which you put or fit something
4. loftily- in a way that shows a belief that you are worth more than open people.
5. dispute- an argument or a disagreement between two people.
6. nonchalantly- in a clam or relaxed way.
7.Sigh- to take and then let out a long deep breath.
Q2. Answer the following with reference to the storyq1
1) “I wouldn’t throw it away”
i. Who says these words?
Ans: Tommy said these words
ii. What does ‘it’ refer to?
Ans: ‘It’ refers to the television screen, on which you could read over a million books.
iii. What is it being compared with by the speaker?
Ans: Tommy is comparing the television screen to the real book. In earlier times in which words were painted on paper. He thought that after reading such books, one would have to throw them away. However, he would never throw away his tele books.
Q3. Answer each of these questions in a short paragraph
1. What kind of teachers did Margie and Tommy have?
Ans: Margie and Tommy had virtual teacher. They were computer fitted with latest gizmos. The computer was programmed to give lessons depending on the child’s age group and previous learning history. The child had to submit test paper regularly in a slot of a computer.
2. Why did Margie’s mother send her for the County Inspector?
Ans: Margie had given many tests in geography by the mechanical teacher, but there was no improvement in her performances. It only kept getting worse so her mother was worried. She wanted the County Inspector to check if there was some problem with the child or with virtual teacher.
3. What did County Inspector do?
Ans: The County Inspector gave Margie an apple and started working on the mechanical teacher. He took it apart and then checked it. He managed to reassemble it within an hour or so and showed down geography sector.
4. Why was Margie doing badly in geography? What did the County Inspector do to help her?
Ans: The County Inspector found that the computer’s programme was not working properly and was giving lessons which was of higher level than what Margie’s age required. So, she was doing badly in geography. He rectified the problem and it started giving lessons suitable for Margie’s age group.
5. What had once happened to tommy’s teacher?
Ans: Once Tommy’s teacher developed some problem and its history section had blanked out completely. So, it was taken away for a month for repair.
6. Did Margie have regular days and hours for school? If so, why?
Ans: Margie’s did not have regular days and hours for school but her mother believed that learning at regular hours help little girls learn better, as the virtual classroom can be accessed as per the child’s convenience.
7. How does Tommy describe the old kind of school?
Ans: Tommy described the old kind of school as a special building where all kids studied together. There were hundreds of students studying or playing together
8. How does he describe the old kind of teacher?
Ans: Old kind of teacher was a human being who taught children in a special building. He taught in groups and give them homework and asks questions.